Research Experience for Undergraduates
The MIRT Summer REU program concluded in 2015. The MIRT Summer REU program in it’s 4 years of funding sought outstanding undergraduate students to participate in a 10 week summer research program designed providing an opportunity to expand research skills, professional and scholarly development opportunities, and enhance scientific presentation skills. We recruited students based on research interests, relevant coursework, and recommendations. REU activities included laboratory research, poster/oral presentations, orientation to UNC and CHANL facilities, weekly research meetings and social events shared with other undergrad summer research programs at UNC, Duke, and NC State.
Details of the program:
- 10 Weeks of hands on research with UNC Chapel Hill faculty, postdoctoral associates or graduate students
- Special seminars related to presenting scientific research and writing scholarly abstracts and papers
- Workshops related to graduate programs and professional development skills
- Social activities: Durham Bulls Game, Bowling, Movies, Defy Gravity
- Participation in research symposium at end of summer where you will be required to present your research in both a poster and oral presentation