Research Experience for Undergraduates
The MIRT Summer REU program seeks outstanding undergraduate students to participate in a 10 week summer research program designed to provide an opportunity to expand research skills, professional and scholarly development opportunities, and enhance scientific presentation skills. We recruit students based on research interests, relevant coursework, and recommendations. REU activities will include laboratory research, poster/oral presentations, orientation to UNC and CHANL facilities, weekly research meetings and social events shared with other undergrad summer research programs at UNC, Duke, and NC State.
Dates | Details
- 2015 Dates: May 18th – July 24th
- 10 Weeks of hands on research with UNC Chapel Hill faculty, postdoctoral associates or graduate students
- Special seminars related to presenting scientific research and writing scholarly abstracts and papers
- Workshops related to graduate programs and professional development skills
- Social activities: Durham Bulls Game, Bowling, Movies, Defy Gravity
- Participation in research symposium at end of summer where you will be required to present your research in both a poster and oral presentation
Stipend | Travel | Housing
- $5,000 stipend
- Travel to campus available up to $500
- On campus housing provided in Rams Village Apartments
- Must be a US Citizen or permanent resident
- Rising Juniors or Seniors, exceptional rising Sophomores will be considered
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Chemistry, Math, Physics, and Engineering Majors or relevant coursework
- Women, students with disabilities, and underrepresented minority students (defined by NSF as African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian, Alaska Native, and Pacific Islander) particularly targeted.
Application Instructions | Application Materials
- Instructions to apply can be found here.
- APPLICATION CLOSED for summer 2015.